Tribal Council provided funding for Warm Springs Economic Development Corporation (d.b.a. Warm Springs Ventures) in October, 2001.
The Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs has a long history of successful business development:
- In the early 1940’s with the letting of their first timber contract.
- In the 1950’s, the Tribes laid the foundation for hydroelectric projects on the Deschutes River.
- In the 1960’s, the Tribes reacquired the hot springs property along the Warm Springs River and began developing Kah-Nee-Ta Vacation Resort. Later in the decade, the Tribes set in motion a major Tribal enterprise by purchasing a sawmill and plywood plant to process the timber from the reservation forests.
- The 1970’s saw the expansion of Kah-Nee-Ta Vacation Resort and the building of the Warm Springs National Fish Hatchery
- Warm Springs Power Enterprises came online in 1981, giving the Tribe the ability to sell electricity. In the late 1980’s, it was becoming apparent that the Tribes could not rely on its abundant natural resources forever. The Tribal Council started searching for ways to diversify the Tribe’s economy.
- The Museum at Warm Springs was opened in 1993 at a cost of $7.6 million.
- In 1995, the $6 million (then Indian Head Casino) Kah-Nee-Ta High Desert Resort & Casino became an addition to Kah-Nee-Ta Vacation resort.
In 2001, WS Construction was formed from a tribal department and Ventures oversight on the newly formed enterprise.
Warm Springs Ventures will attempt to reinforce and expand on a tradition of business successes.
- In 2001, the corporation concentrated on exploring new business opportunities to diversify and broaden the local economy, both on and off the reservation. The corporation’s priority is to generate new revenue for the Tribes. The Board of Directors of Warm Springs Ventures were chosen by a committee comprised of Tribal Council Chairman, the Secretary-Treasurer.